Today’s Weather Synopsis…
After a frigid start, temperatures will slowly climb throughout the day into the 20’s by this evening with increasing clouds as an area of low pressure approaches from the Ohio Valley. A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for the entire region from 5 p.m. this afternoon through 10 a.m. Sunday. Snow will overspread the region from the southwest later this afternoon, continuing into the overnight. Snow may become mixed with sleet into early Sunday morning, mainly across southern areas, but the best lift will be moving away from the region as the morning progresses with any lingering precipitation tapering to rain or snow showers as temperatures briefly spike into the mid 30’s. Total snow accumulations will range from 3 to 7 inches.
Another brutal cold air mass will then settle into the region on Sunday night as the storm exits and an arctic front moves through. Strong gusty winds will lead to dangerous wind chills once again into Monday with temperatures likely struggling to get out of the single digits. A storm system looks to impact the region by mid-week with the next chance of snow as an arctic front approaches.
The Capital Region forecast for the next 48 hours…
• This Morning: Mostly cloudy and near bitter cold.
Temperatures: -6° to -2°
• This Afternoon: Cloudy with snow likely. Snow accumulations of 1 to 2 inches.
Temperatures: 22° to 26°
Winds: South 10-15 mph.
• Tonight: Cloudy with periods of snow likely, tapering off by morning. Snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches.
Temperatures: 21° to 25°
Winds: South 10-15 mph.
• Sunday: Cloudy and becoming milder with a slight chance of rain and snow showers or drizzle in the afternoon.
Temperatures: 35° to 39°
Winds: West 5-10 mph.
• Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, breezy, and cold.
Temperatures: 3° to 7°
Winds: West 15-20 mph.
A look ahead…
• Monday: Partial sunshine, breezy, and much colder.
Temperatures: 7° to 11°
• Tuesday: Partial sunshine giving way to increasing clouds.
Temperatures: 16° to 20°
• Wednesday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers.
Temperatures: 24° to 28°
Click ‘Subscribe to Author’ below and enter your e-mail address to receive notification of new posts. Please become our fan on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more details.
zoomdune.com and the author recommend that you heed all watches, warnings, and advisories from the National Weather Service as weather conditions can become life threatening with little or no advanced notice.