Irish potato soup is a classic dish typically served on St. Patrick’s Day made with white potatoes, butter, cream and topped with crispy, crumbled bacon.
For a healthier, vegetarian take on this traditional recipe, we swapped out the white potato for nutrient-packed sweet potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and full of so many healthy qualities with almost twice the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, 42 percent of the recommendation for vitamin C, four times the RDA for beta carotene, and, when eaten with the skin, sweet potatoes have more fiber than oatmeal. All these benefits with only about 130 to 160 calories!
- Make it an “updated” Irish meal, serve with glazed corned beef and Halushki (old world style noodles with cabbage)
Irish Sweet Potato Soup
- 6 large sweet potatoes (yams), scrubbed clean, preferably organic
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled (adds the “creamy” to the end result)
- 16 oz. vegetable broth (Kitchen Basics or Trader Joes’s Hearty Organic)
- 16 oz. water
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tbs. olive olive oil
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (McCormick or Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425′. Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour allowing their skins to darken and the sugars to develop.
- When potatoes are done, heat stockpot on medium-high heat. Add oil and saute onions until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and sweet potatoes, skin and all. Add liquids, including lemon juice and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend soup in batches with avocado until completely smooth.
- Taste for seasoning, add an additional squeeze of lemon for added acidity if you wish.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt (both not a vegetarian option)
Sprinkle of toasted sunflower seeds or pepitas
Like it spicy? Swap out the nutmeg for 1/2 tsp. cumin and 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Questions and tips
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes. Add 1/2 cup of water or broth to thin out the defrosted soup. Defrost overnight in refrigerator.
Whats the difference between yams and sweet potato?
Yams are tubers, generally a bit sweeter than the sweet potato, with a slightly higher water content. Most likely, they are what you would associate as “sweet potato”. In your local Long Island market, you might find bags marked “Sweet Potato Yams”.
Can I use canned yams or sweet potatoes for this?
Yes, just blend all the ingredients together in the recipe below in a blender after sauteing your onions in the oil. This recipe is so easy, however, it just does not pay for the sheer delight in how the potatoes will make your house smell so sweet and flavorful!