Films come along every year that are action packed, high octane or are funny, heartwarming or heartbreaking. There are films that are sometimes considered ‘chick flicks’ because of the connection between female friends that men will shy away from. But films that entertain are films everyone should see at least once and this is a list of twenty films that every woman should see at least once in her lifetime. So take a weekend with some friends or take a rainy day at home to check out these twenty films.
1. Heathers (1989) Wionna Ryder, Christian Slater and Shannen Doherty star in this dark comedy about popular girls in high school and the one rebel from a new school. The film shows the impact of bullying and teenage suicide. The film has recently been turned into a musical on stage.
2. The Craft (1996) Robin Tunney, Neve Campbell and Fairuza Balk star in the film about female outsiders looking to fit in at school and form a coven of witches. When the new girl (Tunney) arrives at school at least two of the girls want them in their coven while the other views her as competition.
3. The Breakfast Club (1985) Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez portray high school students in detention on a Saturday morning. All the students in detention come from different clicks at school and form an alliance by the end of the day. This film shows that each student has flaws whether they are popular, sporty, smart, alone or a rebel.
4. The Blues Brothers (1980) John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd play brothers that form a blues rock band after a vision from God to raise money for the orphanage they were raised in. Written by Aykroyd and John Landis the film is one of the best comedy movies of all-time.
5. Moulin Rouge (2001) Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman prove they are more than just wonderful actors, these two prove they can also sing in this musical love story set in France’s Moulin Rouge. Baz Lurhman directed and produced this fabulous film.
6. Singin’ in the Rain (1952) Gene Kelly and Donald O’Conner dance and sing their way through the years of silent films that are on the verge of becoming talkies. The film is filled with song, dance, love, romance and laughs.
7. Stand By Me (1986) The story of four adolescent boys ready to enter high school but spend a few summer days in search of a body of a local male teen. The friendship and reflection of a time of a writer’s life bring this film to life. Stand By Me starred Corey Feldman, Jerry O’Connell, Will Wheaton, Keifer Sutherland and River Phoenix.
8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) The slap-stick comedy troupe puts together one of the funniest films about the knights attempting to obtain the Holy Grail. Wonderful scenes that bring laughter to viewers. The Black Knight, the troll of the bridge and the killer rabbit scenes make this film a classic comedy.
9. Love Story (1970) The ultimate tragic love story between two college co-eds. Support, love, sadness, heartbreak and outstanding instrumental love song. Ali McGraw and Ryan O’Neal star in the film which has a Romeo and Juliet type of story with characters from different sides of the track.
10. Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961) One of the most iconic films of Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn portrays a young woman who appears to have money and an interest in the new man that has moved into the apartment building she resides at.
11.Gone with the Wind (1939) The American Civil War and Reconstruction era is peppered with the love story of Rhett and Scarlett. The independence of Scarlett but the need she has for her love of Rhett shows the turmoil of the times and her life. The American epic historical romance film is one of the best films of all-time.
12. Bridesmaids (2011) The ultimate bro-comedy with women. The funny scenes of Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig are hilarious. The bitter rivalry leading up to the wedding makes it an instant classic.
13. Casablanca (1942) The American romantic drama film stars Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman set during World War II. Bogart’s character must choose between his love for Bergman or assisting her her with the escape of her Czech Resistance leader husband.
14. Beaches (1988) The all-time best friendship movie shows the highs and lows of two friends from different sides of the tracks. The career paths they take and the rivalry between the two throughout the years and leads to the support of one another through time. Bette Midler shines in this film and the soundtrack includes great hits.
15. The Matrix (1999) Keanu Reeves dodges bullets in slow motion and realizes the alternate parallel universe. This film is a great revival of the sci-fi films and shows that women can kick butt as well with Carrie-Ann Moss as another caught in the Matrix.
16. The Terminator (1984) Arnold became famous for the few lines he had in the film including his well-known and often impersonated line of ‘I’ll be Back’. The future of the world is on the shoulders of Sarah Conner (portrayed by Linda Hamilton).
17. Enough (2002) Jennifer Lopez is the perfect wife to the abusive husband, but will she be strong enough to get away from him? Jennifer Lopez makes an amazing transformation in this film.
18. The Devil Wears Prada (2006) A film about the lifestyle of a power-hungry magazine editor and her assistant who is not interested in fashion until she wants to be noticed in her career. This film showcases the demands of a working woman wanting to leave a mark in her career field.
19. Pulp Fiction (1994) An American black comedy crime film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. With a mystery briefcase, small-time criminals, mobsters and non-linear storyline this film is filled with graphic violence and crude dialogue but a cult classic. Starring John Travolta, Uma Thurman and Samuel L Jackson along side a well-known set of other cast mates the film received nominations for seven Oscars.
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) Based on the 1973 musical stage production the film is a satirical tribute to the science fiction and horror B movies of the late 1930s through early 1970s. Tim Curry stars as the transvestite mad scientist who is creating an alien when a young engaged couple (Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick) show up at the castle after their car breaks down. When the film was first released it received poor reviews by critics but grew in popularity when the film began midnight viewings and folks dressed in costumes similar to the characters in the film.
No matter what your choice in films are there are a wide variety of films that need to be seen in your lifetime and this lists compiles 20 of those films.
Wionna Ryder, Christian Slater and Shannen Doherty star in this dark comedy about popular girls in high school and the one rebel from a new school. The film shows the impact of bullying and teenage suicide. The film has recently been turned into a musical on stage.
Robin Tunney, Neve Campbell and Fairuza Balk star in the film about female outsiders looking to fit in at school and form a coven of witches. When the new girl (Tunney) arrives at school at least two of the girls want them in their coven while the other views her as competition.
The Breakfast Club
Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez portray high school students in detention on a Saturday morning. All the students in detention come from different clicks at school and form an alliance by the end of the day. This film shows that each student has flaws whether they are popular, sporty, smart, alone or a rebel.
The Blues Brothers film
John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd play brothers that form a blues rock band after a vision from God to raise money for the orphanage they were raised in.
Rocky Horror Picture Show Trailer
The Rocky Horror Picture Show from 1975 is a musical film based on the 1973 stage production. Starring Susan Sarandon, Meatloaf, Tim Curry and Barry Bostwick.