Your weekly Beatles calendar:
Ringo, Paul on tour:
- Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band: Feb. 13, Bossier City, Louisiana. Feb. 14: Tyler, Texas. Feb. 15: Birmingham, Alabama. Feb. 17: Greenville, South Carolina. Feb. 21: Dominican Republic. Feb. 22, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Feb. 24: Sarasota Florida. Feb. 26: Sao Paolo, Brazil. Feb. 27: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Paul McCartney: April 21, Osaka, Japan. April 23, 25, 27: Tokyo, Japan.
- “A Hard Day’s Night”, remastered, is now back on DVD and streaming on Hulu Plus.
- “Good Ol’ Freda” is now out on DVD and Blu-ray and is also streaming on Netflix. Screening information at the film website athttp://www.goodolfreda.com .
- Also on Hulu Plus: “Shanghai Surprise,” which features a cameo byGeorge Harrison.
- Both Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime also have streams of “Strange Fruit: The Beatles’ Apple Records.”
Beatles guided tours
- New York by Susan Ratisher Ryan, Fab 4 NYC Walking Tours,. Website: http://fab4nyctours.weebly.com/.
- Los Angeles by Gillian Lomax’s A Magical History Tour. Website: http://www.amagicalhistorytour.com.
- Liverpool by Jackie Spencer. Website: http://www.beatleguide.com.
- London walking tours by Richard Porter: http://www.beatlesinlondon.com.
- March 20-22: Fest for Beatles Fans, Secaucus, New Jersey.
- Aug. 22-Sept 2: Liverpool, London and Hamburg by Charles F. Rosenay!!!’s Liverpool Productions. www.LiverpoolTours.com
The Beatles LOVE, Cirque du Soleil, Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas. Performances: Thursdays through Mondays at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. No performances on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tickets: http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-3589362-10881223
- Beatleshow, 5:30 p.m. nightly, Saxe Theater, Las Vegas.
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” weekly Beatles tribute show with the Cavern Club Beatles, 8:30 p.m. Saturday, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “The Two of Us Monday Show,” weekly tribute to Lennon & McCartney, 18:00 Mondays, the Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “Made In Liverpool Sunday Show,” Beatles tribute, 14:30 London time, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org
- Beatles Brunch, 12 p.m. Saturday, B.B. King’s, New York City.
- Bootleg Beatles: January: Denmark. February-April. UK. http://www.bootlegbeatles.com/gigs.html
- Forever Fab, Pacific Beach Hotel, Waikiki Beach. 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Info: http://www.foureverfabshow.com/tickets.htm
- Liverpool Legends (with Louise Harrison): Feb. 3-7, 17-24: Royal Caribbean Cruise. Feb. 28: Logan, West Virginia. http://liverpoollegends.com/calendar.html
- The Fab Faux: Feb. 20: St. Petersburg, Florida. Feb. 21: Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Feb. 28: Montclair, New Jersey. March 21: Glenside, Pennsylvania. More info: www.thefabfaux.com.
- Creme Tangerine: Feb. 20: Sequim, Washington. March 21: Kirkland, Washington. Info: http://www.cremetangerine.com/show-times .
- Britain’s Finest: Feb. 28: Osage, Iowa. July 30: Escondido, California. Info: http://www.beatlestributeband.net.
- Laurence Juber: March 6: Dana Point, California. March 7: Mission Viejo, California. March 20-22: Fest for Beatles Fans, Secaucus, New Jersey. More info: http://www.laurencejuber.com.
- Rain: Feb. 6: Austin, Texas. Feb. 8: Corpus Christi, Texas. Feb. 11: Wichita, Kansas. Info: http://www.raintribute.com.
- The Fab Four: Feb. 7: Norfolk, Nebraska. Feb. 14: Morristown, New Jersey, Morton, Minnesota. Feb. 15: Huntington, New York. More info: http://www.thefabfour.com.
- 1964: The Tribute: Info: http://www.1964thetribute.com.
- George Harrison: “The Apple Years” from Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
- Beatles Japanese box set (http://amzn.to/1lZ4Klc), from Amazon.com.
- Beatles vinyl box 9/9/14 http://amzn.to/1p0ZShs
- The Artwork of John Lennon: Website: http://johnlennonartwork.com/
- The Art of John Lennon: Website: http://www.lennonart.com/
- Yoko Ono exhibits: www.imaginepeace.com
- Feb. 7, 1949: Wings drummer Joe English born.
- Feb. 1, 1962: The Thistle Club becomes the Beatles Club for one night. It’s Brian Epstein’s debut booking for the group.
- Feb. 2, 1963: The Beatles begin a UK tour headlined by Helen Shapiro.
- Feb. 1, 1964: “I Want To Hold Your Hand” tops the U.S. chart.
- Feb. 6, 1968: Ringo Starr guests on Cilla Black’s BBC TV show.
- Feb. 3, 1969: Allen Klein becomes the Beatles manager.
- Feb. 4. 1969: The Beatles appoint Eastman & Eastman as Apple’s general counsel. Linda Eastman’s father is one of the partners.
- Feb. 7, 1981: “Double Fantasy” begins a two-week stint at #1 in the UK.
- Feb. 6, 1992: The RIAA certifies 8 million sales for “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.”
- Feb. 5, 1992: “All Things Must Pass” is certified double platinum.
- Feb. 5, 1992: “Ram” certified platinum by the RIAA.
- Feb. 3, 1995: “Live at the BBC” is certified as multi-platinum by the RIAA.
Beatles chart news — 50 years ago this week on the British charts:
- Singles: “I Feel Fine” #13. “Ringo” by Lorne Greene #24.
- Albums: “Beatles For Sale” #1. “A Hard Day’s Night” #6. “Lennon-McCartney Songbook” by Keely Smith #17.
50 years ago on the American charts:
- Albums: “Beatles ’65” #1. “A Hard Day’s Night” #5. “The Beatles Story” #16. The Supremes “A Bit of Liverpool” (with Beatles covers) #22. “Something New” #23.
- Singles: “I Feel Fine” #11. “She’s a Woman” #14.
Last week’s best Beatles stories:
- Pattie Boyd to appear in San Francisco during upcoming photo exhibit
- Chart news: Paul McCartney-Kanye West-Rihanna tune splashes onto Billboard lists
- Paul McCartney announces new Japanese tour dates, Grammy rumor update
- Ringo Starr reveals details of new album ‘Postcards From Paradise’ out in March
- New wave of Beatlemania in France with Beatles CDs, DVD being sold on newsstands
- Beatles news: McCartney, Kanye, Rihanna Grammys rumor, Ringo album title
- Interview: Author brings back Apple Records source book by popular demand
- Rare 1964 unpublished photos, color Beatles footage to be auctioned
- Beatles news: Ringo tweets out ‘peace and love’ to snowbound East Coast
- Reports that Paul McCartney is co-producing new Kanye West album are wrong
- “Beatles and Beyond”: Hosted by Pete Dicks. Available at http://beatlesandbeyond.homestead.com/contact.html and www.rokradio.com.
- “Across the Universe,” hosted by Glenn Calderone from 8-10 p.m. EST Tuesdays on Inravio.com. http://www.inravio.com/batu.html
- “Anna’s Beatle Hour”: Hour show hosted by Anna Frawley with music of Beatles group and solo years. From Poland, but in English. Available weekly at noon ET on Fridays at the show’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Annabeatlehouronradiownet?fref=ts.
- “Mid-Evening With the Beatles,” from the Philippines, 5 to 9 a.m. Saturday morning Eastern time, at their website http://www.pbs.gov.ph/dzsr.
- “Beatle Ahora”: Airs 6 p.m. Sunday CT from Puebla Mexico. Listen here:
- “Dinner Specials With May Pang and Cynthia Nielsen”: More info: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maypang.
- “The Beatles Multi-Track Meltdown.” Hosted by Anthony Robustelli. 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT Sundays on Beatles-A-Rama.
- “Beatles Brunch” with Geoff Lloyd: Weekly Beatles show on Absolute Radio in the UK . Airs at 2200 GMT (6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT).
- “Just Four Guys”: New shows available at 4 p.m. ET Tuesdays at www.mvyradio.com.
- “The Beatles Complete on Ukelele”: Weekly show featuring new version of Beatle song played on ukelele. Information: http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail?pid=51729
- “Beatlesongs”: Hosted by Rob Leonard airs 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET Friday on 90.3 FM WHPC and streaming at www.ncc.edu/whpc.
- “Sounds of the Sixties”: Brian Matthews, who interviewed the Beatles on the BBC in the ’60s, hosts this weekly show featuring music by the Beatles and others from that decade. Programs air Saturdays and stay online for a week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv.
- “ The Beatles Show with Casey Piotrowski” airs every Sunday on radio stations throughout the country.
- “On the Beat”: Excellent show hosted by Beatles author Spencer Leigh on BBC Radio Merseyside. Not primarily a Beatles show, but a lot of the discussion focuses on the Liverpool music scene in the ’60s, often with those who were there. Airs Saturdays at 17:30 (5:30 p.m.) in the UK and archived online for a week after at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7sj.
- “Here There and Everywhere”: 6 to 9 a.m. PT Thursdays, KZSC-FM. Hosted by Michael Bryant. You can listen here.
- “Now and Then”: An hour of the Beatles at 8 p.m. ET Monday. The station’s frequency is 88.9 FM and is located in the Philadelphia, PA/Southern NJ market. Available online at http://www.Z889.org.
- “Breakfast With the Beatles”: 8 to 10 a.m. CT Sundays, WXRT in Chicago. Also streamed at http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/show/breakfast-with-the-beatles/.
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” KCSN, 88.5 FM Northridge, CA at 10 am Pacific, 12 noon Eastern, and 6 p.m. London time. http://www.kcsn.org/listen/index.php
- Breakfast With The Beatles hosted by Cha-Chi Loprete: 8 a.m. ET Sundays, WZLX-FM (100.7 FM) in Boston or streaming at www.WZLX.com (Click on Listen Live).
- “I’ve Got a Beatles Podcast”: “Ringo’s best drumming.” Information: http://ivegotabeatlespodcast.podbean.com/
- “The Beatledd Fab Four Hour”: The show, hosted by Edd Raineri, airs live each Friday, 7-8 PM EDT, on WRKC-FM in Wilkes-Barre, PA. You can listen live online at: http://wrkc.kings.edu. The program’s Facebook page can be found at: www.facebook.com/beatleddfabfourhour. .
- “Recipe Records”: Weekly podcast by Lanea Stagg that features food and music discussion, and often Beatles discussion. Episodes have featured Jim Berkenstadt, author of “The Beatle Who Vanished”; David Bedford, author of “Liddypool: Birthplace of the Beatles”; Al Sussman of Beatlefan; Beatles Examiner Stan (aka me); John Lennon Series author Jude Southerland Kessler, and Pat Matthews of Beatles-a-Rama. All shows are here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/recipe-records-cookbook.
- “Magical Mystery Tour”: Two-hour weekly show hosted by James D. Jones with Beatles and solo music. Sundays at 3 p.m. CST on WKCC-FM (91.1), Kankakee Community College, Kanakee, Ill. Website: http://www.kcc.edu/radio/programs/Pages/mysterytour.aspx or http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcc.edu%2Fradio%2FPages… Also on the Chicago Radioland Radio and Media website at http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/6800-the-magical-mystery-tour-podca… . Also just added to Fab4Radio.com.
- “Fab 4 Free 4 All”: “The Art of Lennon-McCartney: Analysis and Review, Part 1.” Website: www.fab4freeforall.com.
- “The John Lennon Hour”: 8 p.m. ET Sunday at Beatles-A-Rama. Available through iTunes. Website: http://www.johnlennonseries.com/radio_home.html.
- “Beatle Brunch”: Website: http://www.beatlebrunch.com.
- “Breakfast With the Beatles With Andre Gardner”: Airs from 7-9 a.m. on WMGK/Philadelphia (102.9) and KSLX/Phoenix FM (100.7)
- “Dennis Mitchell’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: Live performance, including Paul’s Super Bowl show. Show website: http://www.beatlesradioshow.com.
- “Chris Carter’s ‘British Invasion’: Three-hour weekly show on Sirius/XM Ch. 21 at 9 a.m. and midnight ET Sunday.
- “Chris Carter’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: Feb. 1: Super Beatles (and solo) singles. On KLOS-FM (95.5) 9 a.m. to noon PT Sunday. Website.
- “Every Little Thing”: Wednesday: Album closers. Airs Wednesday 8-10 p.m. ET on WNHU, West Haven, CT, which can be streamed at www.wnhu.net. More information at www.kenmichaelsradio.com. Also streamed at http://globaltexanchronicles.com/every-little-thing-w-ken-michaels-3/.
- “Things We Said Today”: Each week, the four of us myself, Ken Michaels of “Every Little Thing” and now Beatles authors Allan Kozinn and Al Sussman discuss the latest Beatles topics. The topic on the latest show: The Beatles underrated and unappreciated songs. The show is on Fab4Radio.com this weekend and on iTunes and Podbean.com. “Things We Said Today” is available on iTunes (where you can subscribe to us) and Podbean.com, and can be heard at noon ET/9 a.m. PT Saturday and noon ET/9 p.m. PT and midnight ET/9 p.m. PT Sundays on Fab4Radio.com. You can also find the current show and some older ones on YouTube You can write to us at email@example.com.
Beatles radio stations:
- Fab4Radio.com: http://fab4radio.com
- Beatles-a-Rama: http://www.beatlesarama.com
- Beatles Radio.com: http://www.beatlesradio.com
- MaccaRadio: http://www.maccaradio.com
Have a Beatles event you’d like added here? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with The Week Ahead in the subject.
Subscribe to us free (see button at top) for your daily Beatles news buzz. And you won’t want to miss any of our complete and in-depth coverage of the Beatles, both group and solo, and our exclusive stories and interviews on all our Beatles column pages at Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, George Harrison Examiner and Ringo Starr Examiner. Also, check out our Monkees Examiner or our Vintage Rock n’ Roll Examiner or TV on DVD Examinercolumns for all our other news coverage.
Copyright Stan. Please do not reprint in full on other sites without permission. Headlines with links, though, are fine and posting any of our links to Twitter and Facebook is much appreciated. Please hit the “like” button on Facebook if you like our work.
We’re also Stan on Facebook and Pinterest. And don’t miss our weekly Beatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available on iTunes, Podbean.com and Fab4Radio.com on the weekends.