Like all the islands in Hawaii, the Big Island of Hawaii has a lot of very good restaurants. But with the island being so big and spread-out, the restaurants are located far apart in different areas of the island. So look where you’re staying and which side (Kona vs Hilo) of the island, and I’m sure you’ll find some of these dining choices close to your location on The Big Island of Hawaii.
- The Manta and Pavilion Wine Bar is located at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. The Sunday Brunch might be the Big Island of Hawaii’s best. Experience exhibition dining paired with an outstanding wine selection. Reservations are recommended. Tripadvisor Reviews.
- The Seafood Bar & Grill is in the downtown Kawaihae area, has good, strong drinks, and offers everything from clams and steaks to burgers and fresh fish. It’s a big menu in a casual setting and is very family friendly. It’s also a bit of a sports bar and is open until 2 a.m. Tripadvisor Reviews.
- The Plantation Grill is also located in downtown Kawaihae, and is known for outstanding specials. The Wednesday special is lobster, and on Friday you can get a bucket of fresh, peeled shrimp for just $24.95 a pound. They’re only open from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., and it’s best to make a reservation. Tripadvisor Reviews.
- Bamboo Restaurant and Gallery is part dining and part art gallery. It’s highly rated by several tour publications and is a casual, family-friendly, fun place to eat locally-caught fish and locally-grown organic produce. It’s on Hwy. 270 in the historic Hawi Town on the Big Island. Tripadvisor Reviews.
- The Shops at Mauna Lani have three outstanding restaurants, offering a wide variety of dining choices while visiting the Big Island. For a great steak, there’s Ruth’s Chris Steak House. For a relaxed Japanese pub food and sushi bar, try Monstera. Tommy Bahama’s Restaurant & Bar offers a relaxed environment with live entertainment..
- Mi’s Italian Bistro on Mamalahoa Hwy in Kealakekua offers diners a true Italian dining experience and is one of Kona’s top restaurants. Tripadvisor Reviews.
- Two restaurants in Kona are worth consideration when visiting the Big Island of Hawaii. Both On The Rocks and Huggos offer casual, at-the-ocean’s-edge dining with spectacular ocean and sunset views. There’s live entertainment most nights, and they’re both offering a casual, family-friendly island style dining. Tripadvisor Reviews for On The Rocks. Tripadvisor reviews for Huggos.
- The Blue Dragon Coastal Cuisine Restaurant has won many awards and when you eat there you will understand why. It’s easily one of the island’s best restaurants. It’s located Hyw. 270 at Kawaihae Harbor. Tripadvisor Reviews.
- Bite Me Fish Market is a popular, casual, fun restaurant offering fresh fish and smoked prime rib. It’s located between the airport and the Kona area on the Big Island, at the Honokohau Marina area right on the water, and also offers fishing charters and other excursions. Take the family here. Tripadvisor Reviews.
- The Canoe House is a legendary dining experience, offering outstanding Hawaiian cuisine and Kohala Coast sunsets. It’s located at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows, and is recommended for a romantic evening or to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or any special occasion. Tripadvisor Reviews.
Best Suggestion. Get a really good map of The Big Island of Hawaii. Spend some time studying where you’ll be staying on the island, and see where these restaurants are located compared to where you are and some of the activities you want to do while on the island. No matter where you go on the Big Island, you’ll be close to one of these outstanding restaurants.
Big Island of Hawaii Activities.
See the volcano up close and experience it like never before, with Kalapana Cultural Tours.
Take a guided bike tour of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with Bike Volcano..
Experience the underwater world of the Big Island with Atlantis Submarines.
Soar above the treeline with Kohala Zipline.
Voted one of the top cruises on the Big Island of Hawaii, Body Glove Cruises offers several different on-ocean experiences.
Travel, Top 10 Lists, Polls Only & Homemade Food!
The Hawaiian island of Maui is an incredible island to visit, and Waikiki is one of the most famous beaches. Also, Honolulu airport is the “gateway” to Bangkok, one of the most visited cities in the world.
Lists & Polls Of Everything! Look at Top 10 Lists and also voice your opinion at Polls Only.
Love Delicious Homemade Food? Check-out the “Homemade Gurus” at Homemade Pizza and Homemade Mexican food. They have delicious recipes.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama’s Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It’s one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman’s Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It’s one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento’s On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali’ imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy’s in Ka’anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui’s Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe’o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A “must-see” beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui’s top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii’s largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.
Maui’s Top Activities.
- See a unique perspective of Maui with a zipline adventure with Piiholo Ranch Adventures and Skyline Eco Adventures.
- See Molokini or the remote stretches of the Kanaio Coast with Red Line Rafting.
- Atlantis Submarines offers you the only underwater tour adventure on Maui that the whole family can enjoy.
- To rent snorkel equipment on Maui, go to Snorkel Bob’s or Boss Frog’s.
- Want to see another Hawaiian island? Go with Expeditions to the island of Lanai.
- There’s nothing like seeing Maui from a helicopter and Blue Hawaiian may be the best of Maui.
- Looking to jet ski? Jet Ski Maui is a seasonal activity but is a lot of fun even for beginners.
- Sunset dining on Maui gives you an unforgettable experience, and the Maui Princess is the boat to be on.
- Want to parasail while on Maui? UFO Parasail on Kaanapali Beach has been doing it longer than anyone.
- Bike down the Haleakala volcano for an amazing experience with Haleakala Bike Company.
- Trilogy offers one of the best excursions on Maui with several different daily tours.
- Enjoy The Road To Hana in a luxury vehicle with The Maui Touring Company.
- Go with the whale experts at Pacific Whale Foundation. They offer a wide variety of daily excursions.
- Wanting to go horseback riding on Maui? Go with Pony Express Tours for the best experience.
- Go sportfishing out of Lahaina Harbor with Start Me Up.
- Captain Steve’s Rafting Adventures is the top dolphin and whale tour company on Maui.
- Warren and Annabelle’s magic show is one of the best entertainment values on Maui.
- For the best luau on Maui, go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina Town on the west side of Maui.
BONUS – Free Hula Shows!
At The Lahaina Cannery Mall on the west side of Maui, there are free hula shows. The Polynesian Dancers perform at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. The Keiki Hula Show (children performing) is at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Maui’s Best Luau!
While visiting Maui or any of the islands of Hawaii. a luau is a must. Learn a few things about a luau before you go, and here’s a list of popular luaus to consider:
- One of the most popular and highly-rated luaus is the Old Lahaina Luau on the west side of Maui.
- The Feast At Lele is an oceanfront luau at 505 Front Street in Lahaina Town.
- The best family luau is the Kaanapali Beach Luau.
- Staying in Wailea? Consider the Wailea Marriott Luau and The Grand Wailea Luau.