Award-winning Fashion Designer Jermikko opens her Magnificent Mile Flagship Boutique
Jermikko, one of Chicago’s most talented and highly regarded fashion designers, is bringing her love of color, texture, and flair for the whimsical to her first flagship boutique on the city’s Magnificent Mile beginning Saturday, December 20, 2014. Patrons of Jermikko’s designs and new admirers will have the opportunity to shop for her coats, jackets, and scarves, as well as her daytime suits and enchanting evening wear at the Shops at North Bridge, 520 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 326. You still have time to secure a New Year’s Eve outfit.
Jermikko has been an intricate part of the Chicago fashion landscape since the 1970’s. Having moved to Chicago from Louisiana at a young age, she attended Chicago public schools. She continued her education at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and the University of Chicago in a joint major program, concurrently earning degrees in fashion and textile design and psychology.
Jermikko paid her dues working as a fashion designer for various categories in the fashion industry and then struck out on her own in 1979. Her perseverance and “can do” attitude propelled her to start her business in a small studio apartment with $50 in cash, three yards of gold lame fabric, two tree trunks for chairs, a home sewing machine, and a metal card table.
In spite of these humble beginnings, Jermikko emerged as the first African American female-owned designer and clothing manufacturer in Illinois. She continues to manufacture her various lines of clothing in Chicago and has shunned the urge to have her clothes made in other countries as many American designers do routinely.
“It’s all about quality control,” said Jermikko. “My designs are well-tailored and have special detailing that I oversee on a daily basis. My team is trained by me to interpret my creative ideas and to bring my vision to life,” she added.
Over the span of 35 years in the industry, Jermikko has received many honors, including being listed in:
- Who’s Who in American Women and making history as the first African American to be designated the Designer of the Year by the Apparel Industry Board of Illinois.
- In 2002, she was inducted into the HistoryMakers, the largest audio and video collection of African American history influencers in the world, and is now included in the HistoryMakers’ archives housed at the Library of Congress.
- Today’s Chicago Woman featured one of Jermikko’s coats in its December, 2014 issue and acknowledged that she is on an upgrade mission to make women’s outerwear more stylish.
Jermikko Opens First Flagship Boutique on Magnificent Mile/2
Jermikko designs for several labels.
- The Jermikko label is a high-end collection featuring coats, suits, and evening wear.
- The Possibles by Jermikko is a bridge line of contemporary wear that brings the sportier side of fashion to the woman who demands style and comfort. To broaden the scope of Jermikko’s design and audience, Jermikko is excited to introduce the new missy line of outerwear.
- Simply named J by Jermikko, this line brings just a touch of luxury to the modern woman of today. All three labels showcase the multifaceted aesthetic of the Jermikko brand.
Anchored by Nordstrom’s, The Shops at North Bridge is a premier shopping and dining destination on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile. It provides dining and upscale shopping in an attractive, indoor mall setting. Jermikko will test this location for her first flagship store for the Jermikko brand and collection.
Store hours for Jermikko at The Shops at North Bridge are Mondays to Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. We hope to see you there!
For further information and to view designs by Jermikko, visit www.jermikko.com.