We laughed when she reigned as one of the queens of comedy; applauded as she hosted the first televised beauty contest for plus size women; and, marveled after she won the coveted Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress because of her role in Precious. Mo’Nique is one of the most prolific comedic geniuses of our decade. Below are six interesting facts about this entertainer’s life.
- Her full name is Monique Imes-Jackson and she hails from Baltimore, Maryland. She began her career on a dare and has been steadily rising to the top ever since. Fans love her so much because she exemplifies the qualities of a real woman who’s wisdom and strength carries her boldly through life.
- One of Monique’s sisters was a drug addict. Although not widely discussed, Mo’Nique’s older sister had a substance abuse problem. This life-situation affected her so deeply that at one point, she had to distance herself from her sibling until she was ready to get help and be clean. The latest report is that her sibling is now free of drugs and an active part of the camp that keeps the machine called Mo’Nique rolling.
- Husband number one physically abused her. Mo’Nique married her high school sweetheart and even bore a son for him. However, soon after their nuptials, their relationship took a turn for the worst. Mo’Nique’s husband began physically abusing her on a regular basis. At first she felt things weren’t ‘that bad’ because she admits to fighting back. However, one day, Mo’Nique wised up and realized that she was in an unhealthy relationship that was a poor example for her son. Then, like the strong woman she is, Mo’Nique got out.
- Monique adopted a child. During her second marriage, Monique adopted the son of her then spouse. It was an act of love that some people refuse to do even after they marry.
- She’s married to her best friend. After two failed marriages, Monique finally married her best friend from high school, Sidney Hicks. Together, they’ve had two twin boys and seemed to be living the happily ever after, but with a twist; they have an open marriage. In an Essence Magazine interview, she spoke candidly about the pass she’s gave her husband to sleep with other women. From all reports, he hasn’t taken her up on it yet.
- Mo’Nique considers herself a sex symbol. Despite societal images that make almost every women believe they have to be a size two in order to be sexy, Mo’Nique considers herself to be sexy in her plus-size and now slimmer skin. She believes beauty comes in every size. You can find out more about her motto by watching her movie Phat Girlz.
Now that you know more about Mo’Nique, you can see why her comedy is so raw. She’s truly experienced life. Get more information on her by following this diva on Twitter at Mo World Wide.