A part of a successful, growing business is travel. The willingness to do face to face communication in the era of digital conferencing can be the extra advantage needed to make a deal or a project a success. If unprepared, business travel can be exhausting and stressful. Following these simply tips to make business travel more efficient.
As soon as the business travel is scheduled, start making checklists.
· One checklist can be for personal items needed to take on the trip. Clothing attire matching weather at the destination of the business meeting.
· The second list can be dedicated to everything needed pertaining to the business matter at hand. Write down everything for the presentations, video displays, and projection charts. If printed material is to be presented, have the error-free documents ready to go prior to leaving for the trip.
· Any technological devices: laptop, smart phone, etc. Do not forget to pack the chargers.
Keep in mind extra baggage usually means extra fees, pack only the essentials during business travel.
· Use travel size items. Smaller travel containers can be purchased, refilled and used again. Smaller items mean less space allowing extra room for other items.
· Take along some leisure clothes. Yes, the trip is all about business. But not all of time needs to be devoted to the business travel aspect. There will be down times; meetings will end for the day. During this time, being relaxed and comfortable can ease the stress of the trip. Grab a good pair of walking shoes and some comfortable clothes. Take in some of the local sites or do some shopping. Learning about the area can be beneficial in a meeting.
Numerous airlines participate in frequent flyer programs which is great for people who do a lot of business travel. The programs offer a variety of services from pre-check programs to getting through a security checkpoint at a faster rate. The programs are designed to get the traveling through the lines in a more efficient manner.
Many programs offer discounts on a variety of services including car rental, hotel discounts and food coupons. The promo codes for these types of discounts can be downloaded unto smart phone or other hand held device for quicker service.
Rates need to be checked on all aspects of the business travel.
· Starting with the airline, the hotel and rental vehicle if needed.
· Check the rate of currency exchange prior to traveling international in order to help configure costs.
· Check the rates with the cellular phone service. Using a cellphone in another country may result in higher rates and service charges. The next bill could be a shocker.
· The same with Internet access. Checking the rates should be a first step before use. If using a Wi-Fi area, make certain the security features are set to maximum.
· Business travel often means acquiring samples and extra reading material. To avoid large service fees with the airline, considering sending the material back to the office through postal services. The services can be tracked; the costly baggage rates can be eliminated.
The night before a flight have everything prepared and sitting in plain view.
· Remember personal identification and passport. If necessary any type of work visa or related documents when staying for a longer period of time.
· Personal bags.
· Laptop and other technological devices.
· Business related documents.
With a little preparation, a business trip can seem less overwhelming. By being prepared, the traveler can focus on business aspects of the trip without worrying if items were forgotten or left behind.