Turmeric is one of the most potent healing spices in the world. It is one the most researched plants in the world. The medicinal properties of turmeric have been the subject of over 6000 peer-reviewed and published biomedical studies.
There are too many health benefits to list all at once, so let’s take a look at three extremely potent benefits of turmeric.
Helps treat arthritis: Chronic inflammation is one of the biggest risk factors for arthritis. According to the Arthritis Foundation: “Several recent studies show that turmeric/curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties and modifies immune system responses. A 2006 study showed turmeric was more effective at preventing joint inflammation than reducing joint inflammation.” One 2012 study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research showed that curcumin worked better than diclofenac sodium medications in relieving rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. Not only did curcumin work better, but it did not cause side effects.
May help prevent Alzheimer’s disease: Alzheimer’s is the most common type of dementia. It causes problems with memory, thinking, and behavior, and gets progressively worse as time goes on, according to the Alzheimer’s Association. Research shows that turmeric reduces inflammation that may cause Alzheimer’s. Studies also show that curcumin, an ingredient in turmeric helps block the formation of amyloid-beta plaques, which are substances known to drive the loss of brain function in Alzheimer’s.
May help prevent cancer: Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric is known as a potent cancer fighter. A study published in Cancer Letters showed that curcumin targeted and killed cancer stem cells, which are believed to be the main cause of tumor formation. Turmeric has even been shown to kill multiple myeloma cells. Curcumin also has anti-inflammatory properties, which means it gets rid of chronic inflammation in the body that is believed to be a major cancer risk factor.
Note: None of the information in our website is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. The content on our website is for educational purposes only.
DON’T FORGET to sign up for our weekly newsletter to get our latest articles, updates, free recipes and giveaways.
Hundreds of reasons to use turmeric.
For the health benefits of turmeric. For a turmeric milk recipe. Lose weight with turmeric. For a salad dressing recipe with turmeric. New study shows turmeric kills multiple myeloma cells. Turmeric helps regenerate brain stem cells.
REFERENCES: 1. “Three Reasons to Eat Turmeric.” WEIL. Dr. Andrew Weil, n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2015.
2. “The Effect of Curcumin (turmeric) on Alzheimer’s Disease: An Overview.” Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology. Medknow Publications, Spring 2008. Web. 03 Apr. 2015.
3. “What Is Alzheimer’s?” Alzheimer’s Association. Alzheimer’s Association, n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2015.
4. “A Randomized, Pilot Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Curcumin in Patients with Active Rheumatoid Arthritis.” Wiley Online Library. Phytotherapy Research, 9 Mar. 2012. Web. 03 Apr. 2015.
5. “Supplement Guide: Turmeric.” Arthritis Foundation. Arthritis Foundation, n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2015.
6. “Targeting Cancer Stem Cells by Curcumin and Clinical Applications.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 1 May 2014. Web. 03 Apr. 2015.
Want more News, Green Living, and Design ideas? Visit us at Step Into My Green World. You can also follow us on Twitter and facebook.
We are also SophiSticateinteriors.com