Well, it is official. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (or ASPS) has announced it’s annual plastic surgery procedural statistics for 2014. According to the recent report over 15 million cosmetic procedures were performed in the United States last year alone. With an increase of 3 percent since 2013, this includes both minimally-invasive and surgical cosmetic procedures.
“The demand for plastic surgery continues to grow as medical advancements are made and technology improves resulting in a wider array of options for patients,” said ASPS President Scot Glasberg, MD. “Today, more than ever, patients are empowered with choices to achieve the results they are seeking. Through open communication and a mutual understanding of expectations, patients work closely with their surgeon to determine the procedures most appropriate for them to achieve their optimal outcomes.”
The ASPS is the world’s largest organization of board-certified plastic surgeons. So, what were the top 5 minimally-invasive procedures performed in 2014?
1. Botulinum Toxin Type A. What is Botulinum Toxin Type A? It is botox. Botox is used to block muscular nerve signals. As a result, this debilitates the muscle and gets rid of fine lines and wrinkles. With over 6 million (6.7 million to be exact) procedures done from 2013 to 2014, this is the number one procedure performed.
2. Soft Tissue Fillers. Dermal fillers are not only work to reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles, but they correct and repair the overall volume and proportion of the face. This also includes adding fullness to lips, contouring, and improving the look of spots and scars. From 2013 to 2014, over 2 million procedures have been performed. That is a 3 percent increase since the year before.
3. Chemical Peel. Whether you are looking to improve the texture of your skin or simply looking to remove the damaged out layers, the chemical peel allows you to do just that. Whether you suffer from acne (or even acne scarring), age spots, fine lines, wrinkles, depigmentation, dry skin, scars, or even freckles this minimally-invasive procedure can help. The chemical peel has been performed 1.2 million times last year alone.
4. Laser Hair Removal. Get rid of unwanted hair forever with this non-invasive technique that uses highly concentrated light to penetrate hair follicles. As a result, the intense heat of the laser damages the hair follicle, which prevents future hair growth. How many procedures were performed from 2013 to 2014? Over 1 million. That is a 3 percent increase from 2012 to 2013.
5. Microdermabrasion. Skin rejuvenating is used to treat so many problematic skin issues. Whether you suffer from scarring, hyperpigmentation, acne, wrinkles, or even stretch marks, this type of treatment can help you immensely by gently removing the outer layer of your skin. In 2014 alone, over 800,000 procedures were performed and believe it or not, this was a 9 percent decrease from the year before.
According to Dr. Glasberg, subtlet has been the keyword he has heard from patients over the past year. “Subtlety has been the keyword I’ve heard from patients over the past year. Minimally-invasive procedures typically produce subtle aesthetic results and for many people, that is all they want or need at the time.”
With an increase of 1 percent from the year before, from 2013 to 2014 cosmetic surgical procedures were performed almost 2 million times. So, what were the top 5 of 2014?
1. Breast Augmentation. Are you looking to achieve fullness of your breasts? Are you looking to improve the overall proportion of your body? Are you looking to garner self esteem? If so, then you may find yourself wanting to get a breast augmentation. Believe it or not, with over 286,000 procedures performed from 2013 to 2014, this is a 1 percent decrease from 2012 to 2013.
2. Nose Reshaping. In regardless of whether or not, you want to improve your nose to face ratio or simply looking to improve nasal asymmetry, the Rhinoplasty was created to improve the look of your nose. Although this procedure was down 2 percent last year, over 217,000 procedures were performed last year alone.
3. Liposuction. If you are looking to slim or even reshape your body, liposuction can do just that. In fact, Lipoplasty is known to contour and proportion one’s body. You can reduce fat deposits in any area with this plastic surgery procedure. It has made some of the most famous women in the world look amazing too. With 210,552 procedures performed last year, this is a 5 percent increase.
4. Eyelid Surgery. The eyes are the only organ directly connected to the brain. When we wake up in the morning, they are the first thing that we see. Blepharoplasties are used to not only get rid of loose or sagging skin, but they are used to get rid of bags and excess skin around the eyes too. Whether you want to improve them with this type of cosmetic surgerical procedure is entirely up to you. With over 206,000 procedures performed from 2013 to 2014, this procedure is down 4 percent.
5. Facelift. Are you looking to restore your fountain of youth? Do you have deep creases of fine lines and wrinkles on your face? What about loose skin and excess fatty deposits under the chin and jaw line? Do you have jowls? If so, then you may find the Rhytidectomy appealing. With 128,266 procedures performed in 2014, the amount of facelifts performed decreased 4 percent since the year before.