Yesterday, Louisiana incumbent Mary Landrieu lost the run-off election for the Senate by double digits, giving Republicans a solid 54-seat majority in that legislative body and completing the wholesale repudiation by the nation of the Obama way. Last week, a Rasmussen poll found that an astonishing 8% of likely voters — including blacks and other minorities — think race relations in America are better since Obama became president, and most say they’re worse. Yet, plans continue apace to find a location for Obama’s likeness on Mt. Rushmore.
Not really. But Deadline reports:
The White House legend that is Barack and Michelle Obama’s romance is heading to the screen. Southside With You, a drama in the vein of Before Sunrise, chronicles the summer 1989 afternoon when the future President of the United States of America wooed his future First Lady on an epic first date across Chicago’s South Side. Get On Up’s Tika Sumpter will play Michelle Obama (née Robinson), while the search is on to cast the young Barack.
As Presidential lore has it, the date took some convincing. Obama, then an idealistic first-year Harvard Law student, took a summer job as an associate at Chicago law firm Sidley Austin where he fell for lawyer Michelle Robinson, his younger boss. Southside With You spans the day she agreed to go out with him when the two visited the Art Institute, took a long walk, and caught a showing of Spike Lee’s new film, Do The Right Thing. They were married in 1992.
In August 2012, a plaque was unveiled in Chicago to mark the spot of the Obamas’ first kiss. I remarked at the time that even that gesture seemed delusional at a point in his presidency where the scales had already fallen from most voters’ eyes. But that was at least a local bit of silliness.
The plan described by Deadline is for a feature film to be shown in theaters nationwide. Granted, Hollywood never stopped adoring the man feted with faux-Greek columns in 2008, but are they really that clueless about the rest of us?
- Obama’s 12 favorite photos from 2012; 11 are of him
- Plaque unveiled in Chicago to mark spot of Obamas’ first kiss
- Ego has landed: President refers to himself 63 times during Inouye eulogy
- WaPo runs MLK Day piece by former Obama aide comparing MLK to Obama
- L’état c’est Obama
- Father of fallen Marine outraged over condolence ‘form letter’ from president
- Obama makes GQ’s list of ’25 Least Influential People Alive’
- Obama’s biggest mistake is not having told ‘his story’? Surely he jests
- DNC to feature Mt. Rushmore-like sand sculpture of Obama (Photos)
For more articles and headlines, be sure to check out Liberty Unyielding. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook.