If you keep up with scientific research, you will have learned about the dramatic reversal of such staunchly held medical beliefs as:
- Cholesterol and fatty foods are evil
- Coffee is bad for you
- Keep peanut products away from infants and toddlers or else they will become allergic
- Cleanliness and anti-bacterials protect you from infection
- All stress is bad for you
- The sun will give you cancer
- Supplements and vitamins maintain good health
Well, apparently eggs and lean meat contain nutrient dense protein and are not as evil as a carbs-rich diet. Good fat like avocado and olive oil apparently protect your heart, slow the absorption of sugar while helping you to absorb vitamins and keep you feeling satisfied, so you don’t overeat and ruin your diet. Coffee improves memory, has potent antioxidants which help prevent Parkinson’s, diabetes and liver cancer. The sun is the most efficient way to produce vitamin D which is needed for disease prevention like cancer and diabetes. Supplements can be toxic and too many vitamins/antioxidants can even shorten your life span! Exposing babies to peanut products helps prevent allergy. And finally, being too clean triggers autoimmune diseases and super bugs which can overwhelm the human body. Did you know that farmer’s children rarely get hay fever?
It’s time to get dirty
People with dogs as pets have healthier children who are exposed to microorganisms and parasites. Dogs bring dirt into the household via their fur/hair and paws. In contrast living in a bubble makes people susceptible. A great deal of current research is invested in probiotics or “good bacteria” for digestive and mental health. And an incurable form of the hospital bug, C difficile, is successfully treated through a fecal transplant which restores healthy intestinal bacteria by placing another person’s (donor’s) stool in the colon, using a colonoscope. According to the Mayo Clinic FMT has a success rate higher than 90 percent for treating C. difficile infections.
The theme of this scientific story is that too much cleanliness and antibiotic use in your modern world might prove to make you very ill. Note that a healthy exposure to old-fashioned dirt will keep your immune system vigilant. By the way acute stress contains the same benefit, so do not opt to live in a stress-free world – even if you could. Stress wakes you up to perform better to your true potential and gives your immune system a drill. And don’t forget to get dirty sexually because sex is a barometer for good health and keeps your body humming.
What’s the take home message?
- Get back to basics
- Keep it natural. If you can’t pronounce it, don’t ingest it.
- Virtue lies in the middle. You need to balance your ecosystem, not sterilize it.
- Medicine is an art, so don’t believe everything your doctor says. Ask questions and get informed.
- Eating fruits and vegetables gives you phyto-nutrients which cannot be duplicated by a pill.
- Feel your body and sense what energizes you versus what brings you down
- Spiritually, if you are too pure and innocent, you will be vulnerable to evil. Goodness must be aware of evil in order to protect itself.
For more info on health and happiness visit: www.turnonyourinnerlight.com