It wasn’t even close.
The Winnipeg Jets and Colorado Avalanche met Friday in what ended up being a bloodbath. The Avalanche were just not prepared for what was coming as the Winnipeg Jets gave the hometown crowd an incredible show.
– Chippy play gets a start early as Karl Stollery goes off for sending Evander Kane into the boards. The Jets squander the powerplay, not even getting a shot on net.
– It didn’t take long afterward for the Jets to get on board as Chris Thorburn gobbled up a wide open rebound from a pointshot from Paul Postma. Adam Pardy also drew an assist. 1-0 Winnipeg Jets
– Through the first 8 minutes, the Jets were up 8-0 in shots taken.
– On the team’s second shot, a howitzer from above the left faceoff circle, Jarome Iginla beat Michael Hutchinson high. Gabriel Landeskog draws the assist 1-1 Tie
– Action continues with controversy. On a hard shot by Bryan Little, Semyon Varlamov makes an incredible save, however his glove appeared to havebeen in the net during the save. The overhead view got it cleanly. Blake Wheeler draws an assist. 2-1 Winnipeg Jets
– Michael Hutchinson flashes the leather soon after and gets the save, showing Varlamov up.
– Towards the end of the period, Dustin Byfuglien absolutely smokes Jarome Iginla with a hard hit into the boards. The hit though was clean – Gabriel Landeskog’s reaction? Not so much. He goes to the box for two, including 11 seconds to end the period.
Shots: Winnipeg Jets 14, Colorado Avalanche 4 Score: Winnipeg Jets 2, Colorado Avalanche 1
– The Jets powerplay ends fruitlessly and soon after Andrew Ladd goes off for two minutes on a hooking call.
– Cody McLeod is off soon after on a holding the stick call, and Matt Duschene follows with a goalie interference call as he barrels over Michael Hutchinson, who stays in the game. It’s time for a rare 4 on 3 situation. The Jets unfortunately were unable to solve Varlamov.
– As the period reached the halfway mark, the Jets were up 23 to 6 on shots and still 2-1 on goals, easily dominating the Avs who’ve unfortunately fallen from the grace level they had last season.
– The Jets put on another onslaught as a Mark Stuar shot rebounds off Varlamov and is nearly batted in by Anthony Peluso.
– The Avalanche showed signs of life but the Jets were simply overpowering as the game wore on.
– With seconds left, the Jets added a third goal as off a faceoff, a hard wrister from Ben Chiarot was tipped by Andrew Ladd and beat Semyon Varlamov. Bryan Little also counted an assist. 3-1 Winnipeg Jets
Shots: Winnipeg Jets 26, Colorado Avalanche 9 Score: Winnipeg Jets 3, Colorado Avalanche 1
– Wheeler from the corner to Bryan Little in the slot. 4-1 Winnipeg Jets
– And just seconds later, the Hat Trick comes, the first in Winnipeg Jets history. 5-1 Winnipeg Jets
– Penalties from the Jets soon abounded as fights broke out and hits piled up while the bloodlusting pro-Jets crowd ate it all up.
– The Jets survived not only being two men down, but the Avs emptying their net for tw minutes, with 13 minutes left in the game.
– More fights break out with roughly 10 minutes left. It’s a madhouse.
– On the powerplay, the Avs get a goal back as Jarome Iginla pots his second. 5-2 Winnipeg Jets
– If the game wasn’t out of reach before, it was after Dustin Byfuglien unleashed a rocket from the blue line. 6-2 Winnipeg Jets
Slaughter over 6-2 Winnipeg Jets