With two road losses since the NHL All-Star Break, the Winnipeg Jets had a lot of ground to make up as they headed into action on Saturday, January 31 against the Dallas Stars. On top of this pressure, the Jets were being broadcast nationwide as part of Hockey Night in Canada, ensuring a rare opportunity for all of Canada to catch the Jets in action.
The night featured Michael Hutchinson once again between the pipes for Winnipeg, as the split between two netminders continues. Dallas countered with Kari Lehtonen, an old enemy of Winnipeg dating back to the rivalry between the Manitoba Moose and Chicago Wolves.
– Chippy play resulted in a good-sized skirmish just 33 seconds into the game. The result was match penalties for Chris Thorburn and Antoine Roussel.
– Play remained rough-and-tumble through the first frame, and just a couple ticks from the five-minute mark, Ben Chiarot was sent to the sin bin for two on an interference call. Quickly, the Stars converted, with Patrick Eaves converting a rebound into a goal. Assists on the play went to Tyler Seguin and John Klingberg. 1-0 Dallas Stars
– The parade to the sin bin continued soon after, with Ales Hemsky going off for slashing. The Jets aren’t able to convert.
– Jets are next to be short-handed as Zach Bogosian goes off for two with a slashing call. At this point, the Jets have only mustered five shots while the Stars are in double digits.
– The Jets nearly had a goal with just over two minutes to play, but a shot which eluded Kari Lehtonen coujld not get past defenseman Vernon Fiddler. The period ended with the shots nearly even but the scoreboard tilting in the Dallas Stars’ favor.
Dallas Stars 1 Winnipeg Jets 0
– The period started out similar to the first as a charge to the net which bowled Michael Hutchinson over, bringing about more pushing and shoving. This time, however, no penalties were called.
– Tempers finally reached a boiling point as Jim Slater engaged in a quick fight with Winnipegger Ryan Garbutt. Both went off for five.
– More pushing and shoving 6:30 into the second. Bad blood may soon spill on the ice.
– After what seemed like an endless stream of shots on Kari Lehtonen, Andrew Ladd finally broke the goose egg, putting a beautiful shot past the Stars netminder. Mark Stuart and Jacob Trouba drew the assists. 1-1 Jets and Stars
– Unfortunately, Mathieu Perreault soon after went into the penalty box for high sticking. Zach Bogosian goes off (again) later in the frame on a slashing infraction.
– During Bogosian’s penalty, Shawn Horcoff plants himself in front of Michael Hutchinson and tips in a point shot from Trevor Daley. Ales Hemsky also counts an assist. 2-1 Dallas Stars
– Dustin Byfuglien goes into the box next for Delay of Game. Less than two minutes left in the second and the Jets are scrambling to keep up with the Stars now after having all the momentum earlier in the frame.
– A bad bounce of Michael Hutchinson gives Jason Spezza his first of the night (also on the powerplay). Tyler Seguin and John Klingberg assist 3-1 Dallas Stars
Dallas Stars 3 Winnipeg Jets 1
– Undisciplined play continued as Mark Stuart went to the penalty box not even a minute into the third period.
– The Stars finally score an even strength goal as John Klingberg puts home a hot from the point while Colton Sceviour provides the distraction in front. 4-1 Dallas Stars
– A more blatant holding call has never been seen in the MTS Centre as Jamie Benn child-wraps a Jets player. Unfortunately, the refs missed the call.
– Next Jets to the box are Bryan Little and Andrew Ladd. Dustin Byfuglien and Vernon Fiddler get matching misconducts.
– Stars get yet another powerplay goal. This time it’s John Klingberg, from Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. 5-1 Dallas Stars
– In case you haven’t yet got the picture, Tyler Segujin’s good. This game almost puts him atop the point leader chase. John Klingberg is surprising as well.
– The Jets wake up from the stream to the penalty box as Tobians Enstrom puts in a shot from just above the right faceoff circle. Some screening helps. Blake Wheeler and Andrew Ladd draw the assists. 5-2 Dallas Stars
– John Klinberg clips Mathieu Perreault and gets a high sticking minor as a result. Jets fail to convert on the PP, and this one’s just about in the books.
– Jets empty the net in desperation. Little is setup for an easy shot on net with Kari Lehtonen down but the play is whistled dead It’s the closest the Jets would get to putting a puck past Lehtonen.
Final Score – Dallas Stars 5 Winnipeg Jets 2