Your weekly Beatles calendar:
Ringo, Paul on tour:
- Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band: March 15, The Pearl at Palms Casino Resort, Las Vegas, Nevada. Tickets available here.
- Paul McCartney: April 21, Osaka, Japan. April 23, 25, 27: Tokyo, Japan. June 18-21 Firefly Music Festival, Dover, Delaware. May 23, The O2, London, Great Britain; May 27 – Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham, Great Britain; May 28 – Echo Arena, Liverpool, Great Britain; June 5 – Nouveau Stade Velodrome, Marseille, France; June 7 – ZiggoDome, Amsterdam, Holland; June 11 – Stade De France, Paris, France; July 4 – Roskilde Festival, Denmark; July 7 – Telenor Arena, Oslo, Norway; July 9 – Tele2 Arena, Stockholm, Sweden. Tickets for the Firefly festival available here.
Photos by Pattie Boyd, through March 31, San Francisco Art Exchange, 458 Geary Street, San Francisco.
- “A Hard Day’s Night”, remastered, is now back on DVD and streaming on Hulu Plus.
- “ Good Ol’ Freda” is now out on DVD and Blu-ray and is also streaming on Netflix. Screening information at the film website at http://www.goodolfreda.com .
- Also on Hulu Plus: “Shanghai Surprise,” which features a cameo by George Harrison.
- Both Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime also have streams of “Strange Fruit: The Beatles’ Apple Records.”
Beatles guided tours
- New York by Susan Ratisher Ryan, Fab 4 NYC Walking Tours,. Website:http://fab4nyctours.weebly.com/.
- Los Angeles by Gillian Lomax’s A Magical History Tour. Website: http://www.amagicalhistorytour.com.
- Liverpool by Jackie Spencer. Website: http://www.beatleguide.com.
- London walking tours by Richard Porter: http://www.beatlesinlondon.com.
- March 20-22: Fest for Beatles Fans, Secaucus, New Jersey.
- March 28: San Diego Beatle Fair, Queen Bee’s Art & Cultural Center, San Diego. Info: http://www.queenbeessd.com .
- April 18: Ringo Starr inducted in Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland.
- Aug. 15: Danbury Fields Forever, 50th anniversary tribute to the Beatles at Shea Stadium, noon to 8 p.m. Ives Concert Park, 43 Lake Ave. Extension in Danbury. Info: www.LiverpoolTours.com.
- Aug. 22 – Sept. 2: Liverpool, London and Hamburg by Charles F. Rosenay!!!’s Liverpool Productions . Info: www.LiverpoolTours.com
- Beatleshow, 5:30 p.m. nightly, Saxe Theater, Las Vegas.
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” weekly Beatles tribute show with the Cavern Club Beatles, 8:30 p.m. Saturday, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “The Two of Us Monday Show,” weekly tribute to Lennon & McCartney, 18:00 Mondays, the Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “Made In Liverpool Sunday Show,” Beatles tribute, 14:30 London time, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org
- Beatles Brunch, 12 p.m. Saturday, B.B. King’s, New York City.
- Bootleg Beatles: March-April. UK. http://www.bootlegbeatles.com/gigs.html
- Forever Fab, Pacific Beach Hotel, Waikiki Beach. 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Info: http://www.foureverfabshow.com/tickets.htm
- Liverpool Legends (with Louise Harrison): March 21-22: Kohler, Wisconsin. March 31-April 4: Royal Caribbean Cruise. http://liverpoollegends.com/calendar.html
- The Fab Faux: March 21: Glenside, Pennsylvania. More info: www.thefabfaux.com.
- Creme Tangerine: March 21: Kirkland, Washington. Info: http://www.cremetangerine.com/show-times .
- Britain’s Finest: July 30: Escondido, California. Info: http://www.beatlestributeband.net.
- Laurence Juber: March 17: Burbank, California. March 20-22: Fest for Beatles Fans, Secaucus, New Jersey. March 24: New York City. March 25: Easton, Pennsylvania. April 8: Seattle, Washington. April 10: Spokane, Washington. More info: http://www.laurencejuber.com.
- Rain: March 16: San Luis Obispo, California. March 17: Sacramento, California. March 24: Prescott, Arizona. March 25: Riverside, California. March 27: San Jose, California. Info: http://www.raintribute.com.
- The Fab Four: March 20: St. Michael, North Dakota. March 12: Minneapolis, Minnesota. March 28: Ashland, New York. More info: http://www.thefabfour.com.
- 1964: The Tribute: April 3: St. Augustine, Florida. Info: http://www.1964thetribute.com.
- The Beatles LOVE, Cirque du Soleil, Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas. Performances: Thursdays through Mondays at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. No performances on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tickets: http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-3589362-10881223
- George Harrison: “The Apple Years” from Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
- Beatles Japanese box set (http://amzn.to/1lZ4Klc), from Amazon.com.
- Beatles vinyl box 9/9/14 http://amzn.to/1p0ZShs
- The Artwork of John Lennon: Website: http://johnlennonartwork.com/
- The Art of John Lennon: Website: http://www.lennonart.com/
- Yoko Ono exhibits: www.imaginepeace.com
- 1964, March 19: Prime Minister Harold Wilson presents the Beatles with the award for Show Business Personalities of the year for 1963 at the Variety Club of Great Britain luncheon.
- 1964, March 20: The Beatles appear on “Ready Steady Go!,” giving the show its highest rating.
- 1964, March 21: “She Loves You” hits #1 in the U.S.
- 1965, March 20: “I Don’t Want to Spoil the Party” hits #39 in the U.S.
- 1966, March 19: “What Goes On” hits #81.
- 1967, March 18: “Penny Lane” hits #1 in the U.S. Two days later, it is certified gold by the RIAA.
- 1969, March 20: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are married in Gibraltar, near Spain.
- 1970, March 17: “Let It Be” is certified gold.
- 1970, March 21: “Let It Be” hits #2 in the UK.
- 1972, March 16: The Lennons appeal their deportation orders from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- 1979, March 16: “Wings Over the World” airs in the U.S.
- 1979, March 17: “George Harrison” hits #39 in the UK.
- 1998, March 16: George Martin produced Beatles cover album “In My Life” released.
Beatles chart news — 50 years ago this week on the British charts:
- Singles: None in top 25.
- Albums: “Beatles for Sale” #2.
50 years ago on the American charts:
- Albums: “Beatles ’65” #1. “A Hard Day’s Night” #18
- Singles: “Eight Days a Week” #5.
Last week’s best Beatles stories:
- Beatles news: Ringo show sold out; Heather Mills on McCartney: ‘It’s so boring’
- Update: Ringo Starr doing better and tonight’s show will go on
- Fans disappointed but understanding over San Francisco Ringo show postponement
- Beatle news: Heather Mills returns; Sir Peter Blake, Yoko join in
- Ringo Starr cancels second show due to illness
- Illness forces Ringo Starr to cancel show
- George Harrison guitar, John Lennon bathrobe going on auction
- Paul McCartney thanks Albert Maysles for great films and ‘twinkle in his eye’
- Paul McCartney adds second ‘Out There’ concert in London
- Exclusive: Inside Blomfield Road Liverpool home with Lennon history up for sale
- Interview: What does Paul McCartney hope to gain from working with Kanye West?
- Paul McCartney and Kanye West in newest collaboration – a Stella fashion show
- Unpopular opinion alert: McCartney is working with Kanye West and she loves it
- “Things We Said Today”: Each week, the four of us myself, Ken Michaels of “Every Little Thing” and Beatles authors Allan Kozinn and Al Sussman discuss the latest Beatles topics. This week: Glen Burtnik of the Weeklings. The show is on Fab4Radio.com this weekend and on iTunes and Podbean.com. “Things We Said Today” is available on iTunes (where you can subscribe to us) and Podbean.com, and can be heard at noon ET/9 a.m. PT Saturday and noon ET/9 p.m. PT and midnight ET/9 p.m. PT Sundays on Fab4Radio.com. You can also find the current show and some older ones on YouTube You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Every Little Thing”: Wednesday: Beatles/solo music, Ringo “Caveman” DVD contest. Airs Wednesday 8-10 p.m. ET on WNHU, West Haven, CT, which can be streamed at www.wnhu.net. More information at www.kenmichaelsradio.com. Also streamed at http://globaltexanchronicles.com/every-little-thing-w-ken-michaels-3/.
- “Chris Carter’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: Each week on KLOS-FM (95.5) 9 a.m. to noon PT Sunday. Website: www.breakfastwiththebeatles.com.
- “Chris Carter’s ‘British Invasion’: Three-hour weekly show on Sirius/XM Ch. 21 at 9 a.m. and midnight ET Sunday.
- “Dennis Mitchell’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: Beatle bootlegs, “Postcards From Paradise” preview. Show website: http://www.beatlesradioshow.com.
- “Breakfast With the Beatles With Andre Gardner”: Airs from 7-9 a.m. on WMGK/Philadelphia (102.9) and KSLX/Phoenix FM (100.7)
- “Beatle Brunch”: Website: http://www.beatlebrunch.com.
- “The John Lennon Hour”: 8 p.m. ET Sunday at Beatles-A-Rama. Available through iTunes. Website: http://www.johnlennonseries.com/radio_home.html.
- “Fab 4 Free 4 All”: “A Talk With Russ Titleman.” Website: www.fab4freeforall.com.
- “Magical Mystery Tour”: Two-hour weekly show hosted by James D. Jones with Beatles and solo music. Sundays at 3 p.m. CST on WKCC-FM (91.1), Kankakee Community College, Kanakee, Ill. Website: http://www.kcc.edu/radio/programs/Pages/mysterytour.aspx or http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcc.edu%2Fradio%2FPages… Also on the Chicago Radioland Radio and Media website at http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/6800-the-magical-mystery-tour-podca… . Also just added to Fab4Radio.com.
- “Recipe Records”: Weekly podcast by Lanea Stagg that features food and music discussion, and often Beatles discussion. Episodes have featured Jim Berkenstadt, author of “The Beatle Who Vanished”; David Bedford, author of “Liddypool: Birthplace of the Beatles”; Al Sussman of Beatlefan; Beatles Examiner Stan (aka me); John Lennon Series author Jude Southerland Kessler, and Pat Matthews of Beatles-a-Rama. All shows are here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/recipe-records-cookbook.
- “The Beatledd Fab Four Hour”: The show, hosted by Edd Raineri, airs live each Friday, 7-8 PM EDT, on WRKC-FM in Wilkes-Barre, PA. You can listen live online at: http://wrkc.kings.edu. The program’s Facebook page can be found at: www.facebook.com/beatleddfabfourhour. .
- “I’ve Got a Beatles Podcast”: “The Beatles and the Avant-Garde.” Information: http://ivegotabeatlespodcast.podbean.com/
- Breakfast With The Beatles hosted by Cha-Chi Loprete: 8 a.m. ET Sundays, WZLX-FM (100.7 FM) in Boston or streaming at www.WZLX.com (Click on Listen Live).
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” KCSN, 88.5 FM Northridge, CA at 10 am Pacific, 12 noon Eastern, and 6 p.m. London time. http://www.kcsn.org/listen/index.php
- “Breakfast With the Beatles”: 8 to 10 a.m. CT Sundays, WXRT in Chicago. Also streamed at http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/show/breakfast-with-the-beatles/.
- “Now and Then”: An hour of the Beatles at 8 p.m. ET Monday. The station’s frequency is 88.9 FM and is located in the Philadelphia, PA/Southern NJ market. Available online at http://www.Z889.org.
- “Here There and Everywhere”: 6 to 9 a.m. PT Thursdays, KZSC-FM. Hosted by Michael Bryant. You can listen here: http://www.kzsc.org/listen/.
- “On the Beat”: Excellent show hosted by Beatles author Spencer Leigh on BBC Radio Merseyside. Not primarily a Beatles show, but a lot of the discussion focuses on the Liverpool music scene in the ’60s, often with those who were there. Airs Saturdays at 17:30 (5:30 p.m.) in the UK and archived online for a week after at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7sj.
- “ The Beatles Show with Casey Piotrowski” airs every Sunday on radio stations throughout the country.
- “Sounds of the Sixties”: Brian Matthews, who interviewed the Beatles on the BBC in the ’60s, hosts this weekly show featuring music by the Beatles and others from that decade. Programs air Saturdays and stay online for a week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv.
- “Beatlesongs”: Hosted by Rob Leonard airs 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET Friday on 90.3 FM WHPC and streaming at www.ncc.edu/whpc.
- “The Beatles Complete on Ukelele”: Weekly show featuring new version of Beatle song played on ukelele. Information: http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail?pid=51729
- “Just Four Guys”: New shows available at 4 p.m. ET Tuesdays at www.mvyradio.com.
- “Beatles Brunch” with Geoff Lloyd: Weekly Beatles show on Absolute Radio in the UK . Airs at 2200 GMT (6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT).
- “The Beatles Multi-Track Meltdown.” Hosted by Anthony Robustelli. 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT Sundays on http://www.beatlesarama.com.
- “Dinner Specials With May Pang and Cynthia Nielsen”: More info: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maypang.
- “Beatle Ahora”: Airs 6 p.m. Sunday CT from Puebla Mexico. Listen here: http://www.oronoticias.com.mx/radiooro_streaming.php.
- “Mid-Evening With the Beatles,” from the Philippines, 5 to 9 a.m. Saturday morning Eastern time, at their website http://www.pbs.gov.ph/dzsr.
- “Anna’s Beatle Hour”: Hour show hosted by Anna Frawley with music of Beatles group and solo years. From Poland, but in English. Available weekly at noon ET on Fridays at the show’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Annabeatlehouronradiownet?fref=ts.
- “Across the Universe,” hosted by Glenn Calderone from 8-10 p.m. EST Tuesdays on Inravio.com. http://www.inravio.com/batu.html
- “Beatles and Beyond”: Hosted by Pete Dicks. Available at http://beatlesandbeyond.homestead.com/contact.html and www.rokradio.com.
- Beatlefan #212 has special package on Ringo Starr, plus articles on Glyn Johns, Bruce Spizer, Bill Harry and more. Info: www.beatlefan.com.
Beatles radio stations:
- Fab4Radio.com: http://fab4radio.com
- Beatles-a-Rama: http://www.beatlesarama.com
- Beatles Radio.com: http://www.beatlesradio.com
- MaccaRadio: http://www.maccaradio.com
- That’s What I Want Beatles Store
Have a Beatles event you’d like added here? Send it to email@example.com with The Week Ahead in the subject.
We love to write about the Beatles. Don’t miss the best buzz about the Beatles in all our Beatles column pages at Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, George Harrison Examiner and Ringo Starr Examiner. Subscribe and you’ll get first word when we publish.
Copyright Stan. Please do not reprint in full on other sites without permission. Connect with us on Facebook and Pinterest. And don’t miss our weekly Beatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available first on Fab4Radio.com on the weekends, then on YouTube, iTunes and Podbean.com.