Your weekly Beatles calendar:
Beatles on tour:
- April 21, Osaka, Japan. April 23, 25, 27: Tokyo, Japan. June 18-21 Firefly Music Festival, Dover, Delaware. May 23, The O2, London, Great Britain; May 27 – Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham, Great Britain; May 28 – Echo Arena, Liverpool, Great Britain; June 5 – Nouveau Stade Velodrome, Marseille, France; June 7 – ZiggoDome, Amsterdam, Holland; June 11 – Stade De France, Paris, France; July 4 – Roskilde Festival, Denmark; July 7 – Telenor Arena, Oslo, Norway; July 9 – Tele2 Arena, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Tickets for the Firefly festival and other McCartney shows are available here.
- Our Paul McCartney tour coverage.
- Ringo Starr “Postcards From Paradise.”
- Laurence Juber “Fingerboard Road”
- George Harrison: “The Apple Years” from Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
- Beatles Japanese box set from Amazon.com.
- Beatles mono vinyl box.
- “A Hard Day’s Night”, remastered, is now back on DVD and streaming on Hulu Plus.
- “ Good Ol’ Freda” is now out on DVD and Blu-ray and is also streaming on Netflix. Screening information at the film website.
- Also on Hulu Plus: “Shanghai Surprise,” which features a cameo by George Harrison.
- Both Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime also have streams of “Strange Fruit: The Beatles’ Apple Records.”
Beatles guided tours
- New York by Susan Ratisher Ryan, Fab 4 NYC Walking Tours,. Website:.
- Los Angeles by Gillian Lomax’s A Magical History Tour. Website.
- Liverpool by Jackie Spencer. Website.
- London walking tours by Richard Porter Website.
- April 18: Ringo Starr inducted in Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland.
- April 28: Release of “Keep Calm and Salute the Beatles” tribute CD.
- May 21-25: Abbey Road on the River, Louisville, Kentucky. Website.
- Aug. 15: Danbury Fields Forever, 50th anniversary tribute to the Beatles at Shea Stadium, noon to 8 p.m. Ives Concert Park, 43 Lake Ave. Extension in Danbury. Info.
- Aug. 14-16: Chicago Fest for Beatles Fans, Chicago, Illinois. Website.
- Aug. 22 – Sept. 2: Liverpool, London and Hamburg by Charles F. Rosenay!!!’s Liverpool Productions . Info.
- The Beatles LOVE, Cirque du Soleil, Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas. Performances: Thursdays through Mondays at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. No performances on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tickets.
- 1964: The Tribute: April 18: Fitchburg, Massachusetts. April 22: West Palm Beach, Florida. Info. Tickets.
- The Fab Four: April 17: Northfield, Ohio. April 25: Sugar Hill, Georgia. Tickets. More info.
- Rain: April 12: Memphis, Tennessee. April 21: Athens, Georgia. April 22: Augusta, Georgia. April 23: Sarasota, Florida. April 24: Jacksonville, Florida. April 25: Clearwater, Florida. April 26: West Palm Beach, Florida. Tickets. Info.
- Laurence Juber: April 19: Redwood City, California. April 20: Santa Cruz, California. Website..
- Britain’s Finest: July 30: Escondido, California. Website. Tickets.
- Creme Tangerine: April 17: Kirkland, Washington. Website.
- The Fab Faux: April 18: Ann Arbor, Michigan. April 24: Providence, Rhode Island. More info.
- Liverpool Legends (with Louise Harrison): May 15: Ogdensburg, New York. Schedule.
- Forever Fab, Pacific Beach Hotel, Waikiki Beach. 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Info.
- Bootleg Beatles: April: UK. May: Australia. June: UK. July: Spain, UK. Calendar.
- The Mersey Beatles: April 17-18: UK. April 21-May 1: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin. Calendar.
- Beatles Brunch, 12 p.m. Saturday, B.B. King’s, New York City.
- “Made In Liverpool Sunday Show,” Beatles tribute, 14:30 London time, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information.
- “The Two of Us Monday Show,” weekly tribute to Lennon & McCartney, 18:00 Mondays, the Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information.
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” weekly Beatles tribute show with the Cavern Club Beatles, 8:30 p.m. Saturday, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information.
- Beatleshow, 5:30 p.m. nightly, Saxe Theater, Las Vegas.
- The Artwork of John Lennon: Website.
- The Art of John Lennon: Website.
- Yoko Ono exhibits.
- 1962, April 13: The Beatles return to Hamburg, Germany to begin a 48-night gig at the Star-Club.
- 1963, April 16: The Beatles make their BBC-TV debut on “The 625 Show.”
- 1965, April 13: The Beatles win Best Performance By a Vocal Group for “A Hard Day’s Night” and Best New Artist of 1964 at the Grammy Awards.
- 1974, April 14: “Band on the Run” LP begins a four-week run at #1 in the U.S.
- 1990, April 12: Asteroids discovered in 1983 are named Lennon, Harrison, Starr and McCartney.
- 1990, April 12: Ringo makes a guest appearance in “The Simpsons.”
- 1993, April 16: Ringo joins Paul McCartney on stage at an Earth Day benefit headlined by Paul at the Hollywood Bowl.
Beatles chart news — 50 years ago this week on the British charts:
- Singles: None in top 25.
- Albums: “Beatles for Sale” #3.
50 years ago on the American charts:
- Albums: “Beatles ’65” #3.
- Singles: “Eight Days a Week” #11.
Last week’s best Beatles stories:
- McCartney, Yoko, Olivia honor Ringo’s entry into Rock Hall in new Billboard ad
- Beatles news: Signed piano auction price zooms; PBS’ Fabs archives go digital
- Beatles news: New music from Paul?, postcards for Ringo, BBC Beatles shows
- Ringo’s drums, clothes to be displayed as part of Rock Hall of Fame exhibit
- Price of piano signed by two Beatles up to $16k with nine days left in auction
- Beatles news: New Ringo video update and plenty of interviews
- Has another McCartney-Kanye track been leaked?
- “Things We Said Today”: Each week, myself, Ken Michaels of “Every Little Thing” and Beatles authors Allan Kozinn and Al Sussman discuss the latest Beatles topics. This week: The gang plus Tom Frangione reviews Ringo’s “Postcards From Paradise.” The show is on at noon ET/9 a.m. PT Saturdays (the show premiere) and noon ET/9 p.m. PT and midnight ET/9 p.m. PT Sundays on Fab4Radio.com and 9 p.m. ET Tuesdays on Pure Pop Radio. You can also find it on iTunes and Podbean.com. The show also has a channel on YouTube where you can find the current show and a selection of older ones. You can write to us at email@example.com.
- “Every Little Thing”: Wednesday: Ringo songwriting collaborations. Airs Wednesday 8-10 p.m. ET on WNHU, West Haven, CT. Streamed at www.wnhu.net and Global Texan Chronicles. Show information.
- “Chris Carter’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: Each week on KLOS-FM (95.5) 9 a.m. to noon PT Sunday. Website.
- “Chris Carter’s ‘British Invasion’: Three-hour weekly show on Sirius/XM Ch. 21 at 9 a.m. and midnight ET Sunday.
- “Dennis Mitchell’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: Cynthia Lennon tribute. Show website.
- “Breakfast With the Beatles With Andre Gardner”: Airs from 7-9 a.m. on WMGK/Philadelphia (102.9) and KSLX/Phoenix FM (100.7)
- “Breakfast With the Beatles” hosted by Ken Dashow, Q-104.3 FM 8 to 10 a.m. Sundays. Website.
- “Beatle Brunch”: With Joe Johnson. Website.
- “The John Lennon Hour”: 8 p.m. ET Sunday at Beatles-A-Rama. Available through iTunes. Website.
- “Fab 4 Free 4 All”: “The Fourth Album: Analysis and Review.” Website.
- “Magical Mystery Tour”: Two-hour weekly show hosted by James D. Jones with Beatles and solo music. Sundays at 3 p.m. CST on WKCC-FM (91.1), Kankakee Community College, Kanakee, Ill. Website. Also on the Chicago Radioland Radio and Media website. Also just added to Fab4Radio.com.
- “Recipe Records”: Weekly podcast by Lanea Stagg that features food and music discussion, and often Beatles discussion. Episodes have featured Jim Berkenstadt, author of “The Beatle Who Vanished”; David Bedford, author of “Liddypool: Birthplace of the Beatles”; Al Sussman of Beatlefan; Beatles Examiner Stan (aka me); John Lennon Series author Jude Southerland Kessler, and Pat Matthews of Beatles-a-Rama. All shows are here.
- “The Beatledd Fab Four Hour”: The show, hosted by Edd Raineri, airs live each Friday, 7-8 PM EDT, on WRKC-FM in Wilkes-Barre, PA. You can listen live online. The program’s Facebook page.
- “I’ve Got a Beatles Podcast”: “Extra Texture (Read All About It) turns 40.” Information.
- Breakfast With The Beatles hosted by Cha-Chi Loprete: 8 a.m. ET Sundays, WZLX-FM (100.7 FM) in Boston or streaming at www.WZLX.com (Click on Listen Live).
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” KCSN, 88.5 FM Northridge, CA at 10 am Pacific, 12 noon Eastern, and 6 p.m. London time. http://www.kcsn.org/listen/index.php
- “Breakfast With the Beatles”: With Terri Hemmert. 8 to 10 a.m. CT Sundays, WXRT in Chicago. Streamed here.
- “Now and Then”: An hour of the Beatles at 8 p.m. ET Monday. The station’s frequency is 88.9 FM and is located in the Philadelphia, PA/Southern NJ market. Available online at http://www.Z889.org.
- “Here There and Everywhere”: 6 to 9 a.m. PT Thursdays, KZSC-FM. Hosted by Michael Bryant. Listen here.
- “On the Beat”: Excellent show hosted by Beatles author Spencer Leigh on BBC Radio Merseyside. Not primarily a Beatles show, but a lot of the discussion focuses on the Liverpool music scene in the ’60s, often with those who were there. Airs Saturdays at 17:30 (5:30 p.m.) in the UK and archived online for a week here.
- “ The Beatles Show with Casey Piotrowski” airs every Sunday on radio stations throughout the country.
- “Sounds of the Sixties”: Brian Matthews, who interviewed the Beatles on the BBC in the ’60s, hosts this weekly show featuring music by the Beatles and others from that decade. Programs air Saturdays and stay online here for a week.
- “Beatlesongs”: Hosted by Rob Leonard airs 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET Friday on 90.3 FM WHPC and streamed here.
- “The Beatles Complete on Ukelele”: Weekly show featuring new version of Beatle song played on ukelele. Information.
- “Just Four Guys”: New shows available at 4 p.m. ET Tuesdays at Mvyradio.
- “Beatles Brunch” with Geoff Lloyd: Weekly Beatles show on Absolute Radio in the UK . Airs at 2200 GMT (6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT).
- “The Beatles Multi-Track Meltdown.” Hosted by Anthony Robustelli. 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT Sundays on Beatles-a-Rama.
- “Dinner Specials With May Pang and Cynthia Nielsen”: More info at Blog Talk Radio.
- “Beatle Ahora”: Airs 6 p.m. Sunday CT from Puebla Mexico. Listen here.
- “Mid-Evening With the Beatles,” from the Philippines, 5 to 9 a.m. Saturday morning Eastern time, at their website http://www.pbs.gov.ph/dzsr.
- “Anna’s Beatle Hour”: Hour show hosted by Anna Frawley with music of Beatles group and solo years. From Poland, but in English. Available weekly at noon ET on Fridays at the show’s Facebook page .
- “Across the Universe,” hosted by Glenn Calderone from 8-10 p.m. EST Tuesdays on Inravio.com.
- “Beatles and Beyond”: Hosted by Pete Dicks. Available at their website.and RokRadio.
- Beatlefan #212 has special package on Ringo Starr, plus articles on Glyn Johns, Bruce Spizer, Bill Harry and more. Website.
Beatles radio stations:
- Beatles Radio.com.
- Pure Pop Radio (home of one of the broadcasts of our “Things We Said Today,” though not just a Beatles station.
- That’s What I Want Beatles Store
Have a Beatles event you’d like added here? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with The Week Ahead in the subject.
We love to write about the Beatles. Don’t miss the best buzz about the Beatles in all our Beatles column pages at Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, George Harrison Examiner and Ringo Starr Examiner. Subscribe and you’ll get first word when we publish.
Copyright Stan. Please do not reprint in full on other sites without permission. Connect with us on Facebook and Pinterest. And don’t miss our weekly Beatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available first on Fab4Radio.com on the weekends, then on YouTube, iTunes and Podbean.com.